How Injured Runners, Golfers, CrossFitters, Baseball Players, and Other Athletes Can Get Fit (...And Stay Fit), From Frustrating Sports Injuries That Keep You From Enjoying Sports And Being Active"
If you’ve recently picked up a Sports Injury, or if you’ve been suffering with an injury for a while - it can be very tempting to pass it off as “nothing serious” and simply “put up with it” while carrying on as best you can.
Or, it can be very easy to get disheartened and end up feeling “stuck”, wondering if you’ll ever be able to get back to playing that sport you love or keeping active like you used to…
If that’s happening to you, you’re not alone - we see people going through this all the time. In fact, we see people living with an injury from sports and exercise in our physical therapy and sports medicine practice in St. Petersburg no matter what time of year... We are after all a Sports Medicine Specialty Practice!
But traditionally, doctors and medical professionals will just tell people to "rest" or to just simply stop doing that activity, because those people don't quite understand an athlete's mindset, our mindset. In our opinion, this is ridiculous and is actually causing more harm and increasing your risk for future injuries. This is because by resting our muscles begin to atrophy and become weak! It explains why so many people suffering with a sports injury are asking themselves:
"It's Been Months Now - So Why am I STILL Suffering With an Injury That's Stopping Me From Being Active and Playing My Favorite Sports?"...
Most People think that when they get a Sports Injury it'll get better with a few days rest, and that they'll be able to return to their sport or exercise again, quickly. But then when they go back to exercise or play again, they're still restricted - sometimes it's even worse than it was when it first came on. Often when you rest there is little, if any pain - but as soon as you start up again, it comes back and no matter how much rest you give it - it doesn't seem to be improving.
Does That Sound Like You?
Another scenario we hear a lot at our Sports Medicine Clinic is when people go to their Doctors, only to be told to "rest", "try these painkillers" and "come back in 4 weeks if it's no better" - but then 4 weeks later, they end up going back to the same Doctor again because it hasn't gotten any better, only to be given more rest, a prescription, or some cortisone injection that really only masks the pain, leads to great risk of making it worse, and is no good for your LONG TERM outlook.
The problem is that when it comes to sports injuries - hamstrings, ankle sprains, runner's knee, shoulder impingement, rotator cuff injuries, meniscus tears, tendinitis, etc. - complete rest is rarely the best advice.
Maybe you are confused because you've been told different things, by different people. Maybe you think surgery is only way to fix a meniscus tear, or massage and stretching can cure a strain, or adjustments can fix your back pain when really the hip is the main issue.
Sports injuries can be very confusing because more often than not, where the pain is coming from and why it happened, isn't actually the area that needs to be fixed and worked on and if you rest for too long - other parts of the body become just as, if not more problematic.
This confusion over "resting" often leads people to procrastinate and put off making a decision about what to do to really help fix their injury and return back to exercise. Worse, many people just end up accepting it as "surgery is the last and only option" or "their days of being active are over" - as if it's normal, or it 'has' to be that way.
Is That How You Feel Too?
If You're Currently Frustrated And Living With A Sports Injury, Here's 7 More Reasons Why It Could Be Lasting Longer Than It Should:
1. You thought it would go away on it's own with rest - but it didn't and it just became worse
2. You went to a doctor who didn't understand you and who just told you to rest and take pain pills - but the pills did nothing to help. All they did was 'mask' the pain - until it came storming back.
3. A family member or friend told you that sports injuries are more common as you get older, so you just accepted it.
4. You tried other Healthcare Professionals like a chiro, massage therapist, or even a physio, but nothing they said or did seemed to help
5. You tried heat pads, ice, taping, and YouTube exercises but they either did nothing to getting you back in the gym, the court, road, or field
6. You thought it was "soreness" form the WOD and thought pushing through it was the right thing to do.
7. You thought you would get a few "sports massages" or "chiro adjustments" hoping that would fix the pain, but all they did was feel a bit 'painful' or maybe 'relaxing', and didn't do anything to fix your injury long term..
If any of these happened to you - we would love to help you by inviting you to book a call with our Sports Medicine Doctors in St. Petersburg to find out what can be done to help you.
The fact that you've given these things a shot, or even some of them, is actually a GOOD THING because when you know what doesn't work - you are closer to finding the thing that does!
Click the link below to book a call with our physical therapist or osteopathic physician if you would like to get some solid advice given to you over the phone by one of our doctors. The phone call is complimentary and there is no obligation to book any appointments with us after the call is over. Our goal is to help you make the right decision about what to do next for the best!
"What Can I Do Now To Get My Injury Healed Quick"...
Well, here's 4 things you can do:
1. First off, you need to make a decision about getting help: So many people procrastinate for so long, thinking that their pain will 'just go away with time', but then 6 months down the line the they're still putting up with it and nothing has changed - Or, it gets worse and they're still sitting on the sidelines and not exercising fully
2. Next, do the RIGHT exercises: One of the best things to recovery quickly and safely from a sports injury is to do the right series of progressed exercises - the right exercises given to you by a Physical Therapist will help reduce pain, allow you to move freely again, and return to sport quickly - and make sure that the problems don’t come back anytime soon
3. Avoid "too much rest" - while rest is important in the recovery process, too much rest won't do anything to help you recovery quick. Many people believe that recovery means total rest from exercise. But in order for an injury to recover, blood flow is needed which rest prevents. Applying the right load at the right time by doing appropriate recovery and strengthening exercises alongside hands-on treatment and treatments that boost healing is the fastest way to get you active and healthy again!
4. Get a Sports Medicine Team That Understands You: Physical therapy and non-operative treatments like prolotherapy, and PRP are proven to help active adults and athletes overcome Sports Injuries. In fact, at Alliance Regen & Rehab we help athletes with these injuries all year round! If your Sport Injury is affecting fitness and health goals, ability to keep active and perform, if it threatens your independence or gets in the way of spending quality time with family or friends - these two options can help you get back to living the life you deserve as quickly as possible.
If you would like to know how a physical therapist or osteopathic physician at Alliance Regen & Rehab (clinic in downtown St. Petersburg) can help you return to being active, return to your team, and rejoin your friends - we invite you to start with free strategy call to determine the best option for you!
So the next question is:
"How Can Choosing to See A Specialist at Alliance Regen & Rehab Help You Get Rid of Your Sports Injury For Good?"
Here's just a few of the things our team at Alliance can do for you:
- We can quickly take away the pain and stiffness - often inside a couple of sessions
- We can help you find out what’s really going on, and get to the root cause of your injury - by performing Live Diagnostic Ultrasound Imaging and Sports Specific Evaluations.
- Pain can “zap” you of energy and put you out on the sidelines of your favorite sport and doing your favorite activity - we can help you to enjoy living with more energy each day, and return to doing what you love safely!
We will ensure that your problem is “corrected” and “healed” properly - and we will provide you with the perfect set of exercises and guidance that will speed up your recovery.
- We can help you put an end to taking all of those painkillers that are no good for your health long-term
- We can help you avoid surgeries
- You'll never have to wait 20-30 minutes in the waiting room again for doctors who don't understand you
We can help you get back to enjoying training, practicing, and performing with your friends and team and not have to worry about falling behind
We can help you to no longer rely on braces, tapes, and ice packs.
We can help you return to the gym, to running, and to things like golf without worrying if pain is going to stop you in your tracks
- We'll never tell you to stop being active or tell you "just give it up" but instead we'll advocate and empower you to keep going and doing what you love.
Basically, we can help you get back to living life annoying and frustrating Sports Injuries, and return to the exercises and sports you love.
If you want to know what it costs - and what availability we have at our non-surgical sports medicine clinic in St. Petersburg, then please just click the button below and complete the short form:
These Clients Just Like You Started With a Simple Call To Our Team... Look How They Are Doing Now
From Injured Runner and Cross Country Coach to Running with Confidence
I was suffering too long with a running injury and attempted to get some relief/answers from 2 podiatrist and 1 other physical therapist. All 3 simply wanted to give me a shot and not get down to the core of the problem. Alliance Regen and Rehab had a different approach, they wanted to get down to the root of the problem and help fix it. Honestly taking the time to figure things out. I was impressed from the get go. Brian took the time to get to know the nature of my injury asked questions, got my history, watched my running form. He developed a plan and we got to work. I loved the exercises he recommended. Each session he would carefully study my form and make sure I was targeting the right areas. He would watch my foot and ankle for the slightest indication of weakness or problems and adjust the exercises as needed.
I didn't think Dr.'s like this existed any more honestly giving you the time to work on what you need and answer any questions you may have. He treats you as an individual with individual needs. A wealth of knowledge. Without hesitation I would recommend Alliance Regen and Rehab.
From Misdiagnosed and Injured Powerlifter to Competing Again Pain-Free
I truly cannot speak highly enough about the docs at Alliance. They are the most diligent, involved, and knowledgeable treatment team I have ever personally worked with or heard of. I am ENDLESSLY grateful for their expertise and dedication to my health, and will always choose them as my PT/rehab facility. They helped me identify a previously misdiagnosed (multiple times by more than one PT) rotator cuff injury as well as a hip labral tear that no one else thought to consider. In addition, when I presented with an atypical hand injury with no clear cause, they relentlessly re-assessed and re-evaluated me until they were able to identify the issue. I have no doubt that if I had gone elsewhere, it would have taken several months for someone to figure it out. They really listened to my symptoms, concerns, opinions, and history. Between the prolotherapy treatments and thoughtfully crafted physical therapy regimen, I am well on my way back to being able to compete in the sport I love again!
If you have any nagging injuries/concerns I 10000000% recommend them!!
From Injured and Frustrated to Confident and Playing Soccer Pain-Free
What first brought us to Alliance was a referral to help my daughter with a knee injury from playing soccer. What we found far surpassed our expectations. A review of her running style and assessment of her core strength revealed the underlying problems with her knee pains. They truly went above and beyond to fix the crux of the problem rather than just the symptoms. We now meet and work out with them weekly and basically have their team on standby to continue to help her build strength and deal with injuries as they happen. Now, when my daughter has a injury at a game, we meet with Dr. John for immediate ultrasounds, and then therapy and strength with Brian all at the first and only stop. No more going to urgent care to get an X-ray (using 125yr old technology) to be told they can't see anything, then scheduling a scan, then waiting to take the scan to a doctor that takes 4+ days at least. We meet with Dr. John and HE does the scanning and treatment on the spot. We follow up with Brian as needed, and then continue with Brian when there are no injuries to continue to build and condition. If your teenager is serious about their sports, you need these guys and this office to be on your team to help support your child.